Saturday, September 11, 2010

Project Dignity

11 Sept 2010

The events that happened

Ms S the Sandwich Teacher
I always thought that Ms S is too good looking to be a teacher to teach hawker to make sandwiches. I was proven right when she came down to view the stall at Balestier. The men starts to stare. For Ms S is German and I believe there is not many German hawker teacher in Singapore. I will await for her concept on how to sell sandwiches at a hawker stall.

The newspaper interview
To overcome the lssue No 4, I need publicity. I need coverage for PD and the most viable option is publicity. Through a mutual friend, Mr Reporter heard of my project & he conducted the interview on site. The newspaper articles came out on the Sunday Chinese newspaper and over the next four days total of 300 plus phone calls were received.

The callers are mainly the unemployed in their 50's and 60's with some keen on teaching. My response to them is that I need to start off with the disabled as I need to fine tune PD's curriculum. If it work on the disabled then it will work with the abled bodied. Maybe I am wrong. The over 300 telephone calls really boost my confidence in PD, I realised that there is a need. I noted all the telephone numbers and will call them after October the 1st. Some sound desperate.

The Renovator
There are people that believe what I am trying to do. Most think that it will be very challenging and failure is a very real option. My renovator is one of them and yet he supported me for the last two sites that I have viewed and he quoted. In this site, he is still supportive and guiding me on the money I need to spent for the site at Balestier.

The case of the leper
I do make mistake. One day in the food court a lady in her 50's came up. She is a friend of the cleaner and was told about Project Dignity. We talk & I explain the details to her. After my presentation there was a long pause. All the time we were talking her hands were below the table. She is very keen and then I notice the gloved hands. She has a form of minor leprosy. She noticed my discomfort.

Later on. I spoke with one of my friends who owns a food court chain (I have several industry expert who I go to to seek guidance) He advise me that she do not qualified. I have to break the news to her.

On 6 Sep
The man with fits decided to drop out. To be precise it is the family who felt he should stick to his existing job and get $22 per day. I guess as a parent myself I can appreciate the feeling of the Mother who wants security for the son and the siblings who believe in his ability to support himself. At least the reqular income of $22 per day from placing paperclip is assured. I felt sad as I thought this is what he wanted and I truly beieve he can do it if I can find him a good partner. I even spoke to a Doctor friend at SGH to understand fit.

The caregiver will know best.

The Student Mr V
'Please keep us in mind' . This was part of the sms message from Mr. V on the eve of Hari Raya. He and his wife was suppose to be my 4th & 5th students. About two weeks ago I receive a call from Mr. V who was an officer in the uniformed services. About a year ago, he had a medical problem which caused him to be going blind. He eventually lost his sight. he wanted to seek some advise on one of his business idea and in the conversation I told him about PD. I explain PD to him and asked him to think about it. I wanted to train him to do sandwiches and salads in one of my stall. We ended the conversation and he told me he want to discuss with his wife. A few days later, he called and he is very enthusiatic about the idea of starting up a business with his wife. (The wife is actually working part time and looking after him.)

This morning Y has a seizure and when into surgery. We are suppose to meet the coming Thursday(The eve of Hari Raya) on the work details. He is keen and together with his wife may actually work. He was sighted before his illness and do understand the food prodect better. Now I have to wait and pray for him. When u are blind from young and when u are blind in your early 30's, it is very difference. Depression set in. V is still in high depency ward.

I will definitely keep him in mind.....

To be continued

No comments: